Wanna ditch dieting? Start by recognizing what diet mentality is.
Diet mentality is a false belief that you’re broken because you don’t fit the “thin ideal” of diet culture, and that weight loss is the only way that leads to health, confidence, and happiness. If you’ve ever been on a diet, you’ll know this is simply not true. Dieting could lead to weight loss in the short run but that loss is only short-lived and possible as long as you subject yourself to restrictive eating and exercise. Many people rely on willpower and control to succeed but like most things in life, willpower and control are finite resources. Eventually, your biological system will override your power in efforts to keep you alive.
Here’s how diet mentality may show up in your life.
- You have a lot of rules around food and are afraid to eat certain foods. Check out episode 12 of The Thriving Mum Podcast for more on this.
- You plan your life around your diet, and eventually your life and social connections start to shrink rather than expand.
- You’re not engaged with food. You may not feel hungry and just eat to survive.
- Your health promoting behaviours are loaded with “shoulds” and other rules.
- You have hit what is known as diet “rock bottom”. You don’t want to count another calorie, track points, journal about food, and stop obsessing about foods. Many of my clients come to me at this stage, where they’re just done and not sure what to do anymore.
If any of these resonate with you, I want you to know that you’re not alone. In this episode, I’ll be walking you through the process of identifying how diet mentality shows up in your life, quick steps to help you ditch dieting, and what to expect when you commit to ditching dieting. You’ll get the tools that will empower you to begin rebuilding trust and heal your relationship with food and your body.
Mentioned in this Episode:
TTMP Episode 12: What to Expect When Healing Your Relationship With Food
Want a quick start to ditch dieting and gain food freedom? Check out the food freedom guide. Olive and Bliss – Food Freedom Guide
Learn more about me and how I can support you to ditch dieting and gain food and body freedom at www.oliveandblisswellness.ca/nutrition-coaching
Are we friends on social yet? Let’s connect on Instagram @oliveandblisswellness
If you’re enjoying this podcast, would you help more mothers find us by leaving a 5-star rating and review on Apple Podcasts? Leave a review here.0